Saturday, April 30, 2011

Ichabod: The Pattern

Now I'll make the patterns for the leather pieces (which will support the three cold cast parts).

I begin by marking where the seams will go on the plasticene with a Sharpie™ felt tip pen.


After sealing the clay with a coating of pink urethane resin, I cover it all with strips of masking tape. The resin is necessary as masking tape won't adhere to the clay.


Once I am satisfied with the pattern pieces I use an Xacto™ knife to cut off the individual masking tape patterns.


Now I test my pattern by cutting them in a thin cardboard, stapling and taping the different parts together. All looks fine, so I will proceed to the next step.


And finally I cut the pieces out of leather and stitch them together. The eyepieces fit nicely, however the beak opening is too large. I will have to adjust the pattern and try again.

2 comments:

  1. great photos - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you consider the flow of the seams in the design.

    ReplyDelete