Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Ichabod: The Straps

Returning to the Ichabod, I adjusted the pattern so that the beak opening wasn't so large, and now the fit is good. Next up is making the straps.



I've made a simple one inch wide band and temporarily attach it to the mask to see how the beak will sit on the face.



That will basically work, but I need a nicer way to attach it, and I need a strap running over the head (front to back) to keep the beak cantilevered and off of the chin. Here I've added tabs to the leather mask to accomplish both things.



I've decided to make this mask white (a classical plague doctor mask color), and so I paint it with acrylic latex paint. I also finish the eye and beak hardware and attach them to the mask.



And here it is with my first attempt at the straps. I think that they are too busy, and so will simplify them before moving on. The challenge is to have it be adjustable, both circumferentially around the head, and over the top of the head.










6 comments:

  1. Tom,
    For the head strap component, have you considered how the masks for hockey goalies are designed? They have sort of a "yarmulke" at the back and the straps are connected to that.

    Just thought I would toss that your way in case you hadn't seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is an example:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dan4th/5317478328/

    ReplyDelete
  3. if only it was socially acceptable to wear these in public

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any chance of you selling these? I would love one for my personal office - little bit of medical history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am selling the Ichabod on my Etsy site, tombanwell.etsy.com
    @Craig, I've done my earlier gas masks with a similar type of strapping. Ichabod needs to be cantilevered away from the face, and so I made it slightly differently as my next posts addresses.

    Thanks, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with this mask and the straps, I like it better than your others because of the straps. Wish I could borrow it for a photoshoot :)

    | jocelynmeadows.tumblr.com |

    ReplyDelete