Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tauruscat: Stitching the Leather

After cutting out the skull patterns in 5-6 oz leather, I handstitched the pieces together using waxed thread. After wetting it I pulled the skull over the head form to let it dry in the right shape.

Here is a rear view of the skull with the stitching almost complete.

After drafting the pattern for the brim, I cut it out and stitched it onto the skull. Then to make it a bit stiffer (and to give it a finished look) I sewed on leather piping (shown here partially done).




4 comments:

  1. it's looking really great, but it makes my hands hurt just to think of all the hand stitching that you've done...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the hand stitching. It does hurt sometimes, but I am rewarded by seeing the helmet take shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you make all the holes for the needle by hand, or is there a machine that does this boring work?

    ReplyDelete