Saturday, January 9, 2010

R.H.I.N.O. Gas Mask: The Canister

Yes, Rhino is now an acronym: Respiratory Hindrance of the Inhalation of Noxious Odours. Now there is a story of how the Rhino Mask got its name! Anyway, I've been thinking about what shape to make the air purifying canister, and after much deliberation have decided to stick closely to the original.


Here you can see a photo of the mask (minus its straps). The large squat tubular form of the attached canister is quite common, and strictly functional. Given that the horn nose has a strong fantasy element to it, I think that the canister balances it nicely by keeping the simpler shape.


Of course I will gussy it up some, giving it a real Victorian look with leather, and decorative reliefs, etc. Beautiful yet functional. That is the plan for now, always subject to change. Above is my sketch that I'll work from.

3 comments:

  1. Not to be picky, but I think you mean acronym, not anagram. (ducks)

    I love seeing how you plan and execute your designs. It makes me want to try similar things, but I think I should stick to books and printing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niko, you're right of course. My boo-boo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom,
    Just a thought I would toss your way -- I was looking at your R.H.I.N.O. mask and also thinking of your pachyderm-inspired mask and it struck me that a set of tusks could be worked into a mask. Your work is inspiring, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete