I wanted to do something new with the eyepieces for this mask, different from what I'd done before. In the past I've used camera lenses, and several fabricated eyepieces, but they have all been circular. The rubber German gas mask that I pulled the pattern from also has round eyes, but after taping and making the 2D pattern, then cutting it out of leather and reassembling it as a 3D mask, the eye openings were no longer round. I could have easily inserted round eyes into the leather mask and it would have conformed seamlessly, but I felt that I had already done enough round eyes, and in this mask they even made it look a little goofy.
Above are the individual pieces: The base part cast in black resin, the clear acrylic lens, the cold cast aluminum cap, and the five brass rods.
And here is the assembled eyepiece for the left eye. The right eyepiece is a mirrored image. I fabricated both the base and the cap out of sheet acrylic. To the cap I added eyelets and machine screws, then molded it and poured it in cold cast aluminum. Now that is a different looking eyepiece!