Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Rhino Gas Mask: Whither Points the Nose?

Rhino is from the Greek word for nose, and there is no doubt that this mask prominently features that part of the face. The question now arises, "Which direction should the nose point?" Initially I was planning on pointing it up to resemble the horn of the rhinoceros. But once I had cast the horn and was putting it into the leather mask, I realized it could just as well point down. So now I am asking you, the readers, to give me your opinions on the matter. To that end I have put up a poll (in the upper right corner of the page) and invite you and your friends to vote, and let me know what you think.


As you can see from the photos I have dyed the mask black, and inserted both the nose horn and the eyes. The canister is still to be designed and built, and it will no doubt change the overall look of the mask, but meanwhile let me know what you think about the orientation of the nose.

12 comments:

  1. Tom Could we see it straight on as if you were viewing this fellow face to proboscis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think up, depending heavily on how the canister is designed. but almost every way i envision the canister(s) up is a more balanced way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that pointing up gives you more room to work with and therefore your choices for the canister design are more numerous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For this mask, I'd go with up, too. The size and curve of the horn makes the "down" version a bit awkward IMO. However, it still looks inspiring; perhaps some day you could do a Dottore Peste inspired mask?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think up as well, as down kinda looks like a goblin... UP all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote UP as well, otherwise it reads as 'flaccid'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Up! Down reminds me of Gonzo the Great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What Mr. Sable said. Definitely up.

    ReplyDelete